How to get Employment Visa R-1?

Employment Visa

R-1 Visa

R-1 An R-1 Religious Visa is a non-immigrant visa provided to religious workers for temporary work in the United States. The holder must be engaged in a religious occupation with a religious organization or denomination in America.

Who can apply for R-1 Visa?

  1. Temple Priests
  2. Nuns
  3. Monks
  4. Gurudwara Granthi
  5. People who conduct religious ceremonies
  6. Other religious members: Councils, missionaries, singers, instructors, translators, etc.


  • To be eligible for an R1 visa, a foreign national must have been a member of a religious denomination with a non-profit religious organization in the United States for at least two (2) years before filing the visa application.
  • The religious denomination in America must first demonstrate that it is a “bona fide” religious worker. This means the applicant must have a formal, salaried position with a religious organization in the United States supported by the same religious organization overseas.
  • The applicant must also be engaged in a “legitimate religious occupation” commonly associated with that particular religion.

How can we help you?

  1. We can discuss and determine if you are eligible for an R-1 visa
  2. We can represent your employer in America and file the petition for you.
  3. We can help fill out the online visa application form (DS-160), pay the visa application fee, and schedule an interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  4. Help gather all required documents, including a valid passport petition approval notice.
  5. Help prepare for the interview.
  6. If the embassy denies your visa, we will help you reapply after analyzing the reason for the denial.

R-1 Visa Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions about R-1 visa:

  1. Can I bring my family with me on an R-1 visa?
    An R-1 visa holder may bring their spouse and children (under 21 years of age) to the United States on an R-2 visa. Dependents on R-2 visas are not allowed to work in the United States. R-2 visa holders can study in America.

  2. Can I change my status from an R-1 visa to a different visa category?
    It is possible to change your status from an R-1 visa to a different visa category if you meet the requirements and qualifications for the new visa category and the USCIS approves the change of status.

  3. How long is an R-1 visa valid for?
    The R1 visa holder may legally stay in the United States for 30 months, with extensions up to a maximum of 5 years.

  4. Can an R-1 visa holder get a green card in the US?
    Yes, if you are in America your employer can file an immigrant petition with the USCIS for you. After the petition is approved, you can file your green card application, Adjustment of Status.
    If you are in India, your employer can file an immigrant petition with the USCIS. On approval, you can file a DS-260 application and fulfill other requirements with NVC, USA. After you complete all requirements, NVC will schedule an interview with the embassy.

  5. Can an R-1 get a green card if marries a USA citizen in America?
    Yes, your American spouse can file a relative petition with the USCIS, and concurrently, you can file a green card application.

  6. What if the embassy denies me a visa?
    You can reapply.

  7. Can I Change Employers With The Religious Visa?
    Religious workers who hold an R visa can change their employer or place of employment if they meet the requirements.